Virginia STAR is always looking for schools interested in joining the program. Becoming a site is easy – simply follow these steps:
- Provide support from your school’s principal.
- Have a class or club that is sponsored by someone with basic computer hardware knowledge. (during the day or after school)
- Contact the Program Office.
Once joined, maintaining program membership includes the following:
- Accepting and storing up to 25 computers and associated peripherals.
- Receiving funding allocations. (dependent on availability)
- Receiving, installing, and licensing Microsoft Windows.
- Meeting and working with other Virginia STAR sites, including an annual luncheon.
- Conducting at least one Bridging the Gap event, a student-run event where student-refurbished computers are donated into the local community by partnering with local schools, churches, community centers, etc. It is up to the school to decide who the donation is to.
Forest Park High School, as the model site, is happy to share best practices, answer questions, and provide basic support for member sites, as well as support you in the training and development of your site’s program. Please feel free to arrange for assistance by using the Contact Us page.